Saturday, February 24, 2018

What Are the Chances?

So, this whole trip I rented two places that have pools.  I don't really care that much about pools, but I thought it would be hot and so it seemed like a good idea.  Neither place had a functioning pool!  Andre at the beautiful round house said something in French about the wind and the 'filter not function'.  Juan Carlos at my current place in the pueblo of Manuel Antonio said he was sorry but they were changing either from chlorine to salt or vice versa.  In any case - no pool! 
This place is strange and funky and I like it a lot.  Juan Carlos is super nice and has 4 rescue dogs (one is named guapo which means handsome - he's not particularly) and 3 rescue cats.  He takes very good care of them and loves them all, baths them regularly (not easy he says) and gives them shots every 3 months for ticks.  To get to my room, you have to go through a locked gate, up some very steep stairs, through a garden, past the pool and up another flight of steep stairs.  The inside is red and green and purple and has orange curtains and a functioning kitchen and I have a deck to watch the sunset. Cool! 
I wasn't going to write today but the WiFi is good and it sure won't be when I get into the mountains. 
So . . . .
I tried to walk to the beach but kept walking and walking and realized after 3 people along the way said it was 2 km, that it was probably much longer than that and it was hot and it was downhill on the way which meant it was uphill coming back.  The road on the way was filled with very expensive looking hotels and gated homes.  Obviously no Ticos live here!  So no beach but a good (and hot) walk. 
Interesting fact - Souvenir shops here sell mostly stuff from Thailand and India - only for a lot more money.  You can buy elephant pants, purses, backpacks, etc. I asked a guy in one store, "Hecho en Costa Rica?". "Yes, yes", he said!!!  Hmmm.
Lonely Planet says squirrel monkeys have become rare in the park because of so many tourists, but I saw one while I was looking for the beach.  Here's a few photos. 


In the garden where I'm staying
Just a very bizarre sign on the walk.  I'm guessing these people have stayed there.
But what about the caption under the photos?? Huh??

A butterfly on the walk
Sunset from the non-functioning pool

2 comments:

  1. That's a lot of famous people to gave stayed there if its true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a funny poster I'm all the famous people. I think it's missing a few words. Glad you're seeing spider monkeys! They're one of my favorites! Sorry you didn't make it to the beach, but you sure to get some amazing photos along the way and I hope you make it to the beach today. Love you

    ReplyDelete