Thursday, February 22, 2018

Monteverde and Santa Elena - And Birds Of Course

What an experience just getting here.  This time, I had great directions and it was straightforward, at least until I reached Santa Elena.  It turns out, as you'll see from the photograph, that the place I'm staying is up a really steep hill.  It's been good - I walk into town for dinner and feel that I've worked most of it off by the time I get to my room!  Yay! 
The 'road' to get here was SO interesting.  It's one lane most of the way but there are trucks and buses coming and going as this area is a big tourist spot.  I had a few close shaves with some delivery trucks and one big bus that literally had spikes on its hubcaps.  Now that's protection!  Anyway, it is also steep uphill since we're going to a cloud forest but the amazing thing is that the road changes back and forth from somewhat paved to rock, gravel and potholes . . . AGAIN!  What is up with that?
Anyway, here I am, it is incredibly beautiful and, once again, I could stay much longer.  There's so much to see and do! 
I spent the day at Curicancha Reserve which is smaller and way less crowded than Monteverde!  It rained in the morning and then misted alternating with sun in the afternoon.  I spent most of the day there and hiked without seeing another soul most of the time.  It was amazing and beautiful.  The photos cannot do justice to a cloud forest  - the amount of vegetation, the size of the trees, the mist coming over a mountain.  Spectacular.  Here are (a lot) some pictures.

A Capuchin Who Tried to Bust Into My Room

View From My Room In Santa Elena (The best part of the room)
 
A Giant ficus in the Forest - I was shorter than the little plant in front!

A Hawk - The interesting part of this is all the things growing In an otherwise dead tree


An Agouti
Just a shot of the cloud forest but it's impossible to see how magnificent it really is.


Possibly my favorite bird ever - a Motmot - Look at the long tail feathers and the grumpy face!
 
Some Amazing Hummingbirds - There are hundreds of kinds in Costa Rica
 

 
 
An Emerald Toucan - Not a great shot but really hard to capture.  They are small
And, as you can see, blend in with the trees!

I have moved on to the next location - Lagunilla.  It's not on any map and most Costa Ricans don't know of it.
I am, however, thrilled to be here and found it without getting lost.  Yay!  I am staying in a round house in the upstairs with views to the Nicola Peninsula.
There is a full kitchen, a king bed and decks all around.  I don't ever want to leave!  The host/owner is a gentleman from France named Andre who has lived her for over 20 years.  Photos and stories to follow.

2 comments:

  1. Aww so cool! AS always stunning photos. That ficus is amazing! And the hawk in the dead tree filled with living things.... those capuchins are crazy, Lol. I love the emerald toucan. So cool! Sounds like such a nice time, we're envious. Be safe, watch out for those spiked wheels and steep roads with giant potholes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go!!! Are yoy driving a car there?

    ReplyDelete