Tuesday, February 20, 2018

A Day Lost, A Blue River and Onward


Once again, I am lost.  After somehow unknowingly losing a day and overstaying in La Fortuna, I turned too soon and took a ‘shortcut’ to Bijagua that involved going over a dirt and rock road for about 15 km with potholes the size of small swimming pools (in a Toyota Yaris). The good news is that I made it here but now have only one night to stay.  Too bad!  The hosts and staff are really nice and didn’t charge me for the night I missed.  Wow!  Amazing!  The forest around my cabina has four sloths (two with babies) and other wildlife, and the restaurant, the Hummingbird Café, has delicious meals!  Ah, such is life! 

Backtracking a bit – I am still not sure how I lost a day, but when I checked out this morning my lovely hosts (Adrien and Irene) kindly asked if I had a copy of my reservation.  After going back and forth in Spanish, I realized it was the 19th and that I just misplaced a day!  They didn’t mind and I was happy to spend the extra day at their place.  Irene, is a homeopath and a lovely woman who showed me a beautiful and rare bird and made delicious breakfasts.  We became close despite the language barrier and we promised to email.  I also was happy to have spent the extra day because the sun came out, the volcano showed itself and I met four great people who loved looking for birds as much as me!  We found SO many and they invited me along for a nighttime frog tour at their hotel which was amazing! 

Tomorrow I will get lost on my way to Monteverde and will be in a cloud forest (if I find it).  Looking forward to it!  Here are too many photos and I have tried to pick out just a few of my favorites.  I have hundreds and mostly of birds and reptiles.  I do not know the names of all of these and intend to find out when I can get a book.






 
Thanks to my new friend Linda Purvianace for this photo.  Mine was blurry!




The Rio Celeste
 

Vampire bats


Glass frog

Sloths with baby

 
Finally - Arenal!
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Some of the most amazing photos you've ever taken! I can't believe you lost a day and got lost again on top of it but one thing I remember about Costa Rica is that it has wonderful helpful people. So glad you are meeting and connecting with some of them. By the way J's favorite pic is the blue bird near the top, he says "I like him, he has a silly face" We love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful! Where are the lost days going? I love the birds. My goodness beautiful!

    ReplyDelete