Friday, February 16, 2018

Volcan Poas to Volcan Arenal the LONG Way!

Hello from La Fortuna - Disneyland for the adventurous!  It's at the foot of Arenal Volcano, although you'd never know it.  It has been overcast and rainy since I arrived here yesterday and, despite not being able to see the volcano, I LOVE the rain! 
Starting with Poasito, 4 km from Poas  Volcano and (supposedly) 45 minutes from Alajuela which is where my plane landed.  I have learned a few things about traffic in Costa Rica.  For instance, a Calle runs north and south with odd numbers on one side of the center of town and even numbers on the other side - so Calle 9 is clear across town from Calle 10!  An Avenida runs East and West.  All of this might not seem like a big deal unless you have taken off from the car rental lot and are 'trying' to head North out of town.  Two hours later I arrived at my lovely place in Poasito.  Poas volcano is currently closed due to activity.  The views were amazing as it is at almost 8,000 feet altitude and so was chilly and windy - but breathtaking.  The owners, Matt an Leah, just took over the place having moved from Houston only six months ago. 
After a lovely evening and morning, off I went toward La Fortuna at the foot of Arenal Volcano - a three hour drive.  While the saying goes that all roads lead to Rome, in this case all roads lead to San José.  Street signs are just a thought here and though I was on the right route, there is no indication which direction you are traveling in and I was not traveling in the correct direction - several times!   A lesson learned and onward.
Five hours later . . . I am now staying in a little cabin with a 'view' of Arenal (maybe).  The couple who run the place are lovely and I am enjoying them - so kind!  Today (my first full day), I went to Mistico Hanging Bridges which is amazing - a 4 km walk through rainforest with 6 hanging bridges in some cases 80 + feet above the ground.  I saw (I use the term loosely because they were in the canopy) two sloths - one with baby and one howler monkey.  Just as I arrived at the last hanging bridge by the exit, it started to pour!  I mean REALLY pour!
After a cappuccino while waiting for the rain to stop, I asked the woman at the register her opinion of the best and least expensive hot springs in the area.  There are many and they can be quite expensive - $60 - $85 are some of the prices.  She gave me the name of a place which was $30 (not too bad) and I, of course, went to a place with a similar name.  Duh!  It ended up though being only $20 for a day pass and was really cool - umm, actually hot!  Sat in the hottest of a series of springs going down the hill with a sweet couple from outside Toronto.  Blah, blah, blah.  Enough words - here are some photos.
My Room in Poasito

Sunset from the Room and Below Night View of San José and Alajuela


A waterfall along the way to La Fortuna
 
A View Along the Way

Some of My 'Neighbors' Below



 

 
Mistico Hanging Bridges
Two Guardians of the Bridges Emmanuel and Anean





 

2 comments:

  1. Wowee! Those trees are amazing and you're right, J would love the bridges. They look pretty cool. All amazing pics and glad you are safe at your destination after getting lost. Hope you get to see the volcano from below.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I'm behind and it looks amazing already! Love hot springs and waterfalls ❤

    ReplyDelete