Sunday, February 25, 2018

Monkeys, Monkeys, Monkeys and Sloths

Today was definitely a mixed bag.  Manuel Antonio Park is an incredibly beautiful place but it has been discovered in a big way.  Granted, it was Sunday so maybe busier considering that they're closed on Monday?  Anyway, crowded even when I arrived at 7:30 (to avoid the crowds). One parking place that motioned me in turned out to cost about $6 but was 2 km from the park.  I said no thanks and he said some nasty things.  Glad I didn't park there because I found a very nice place much closer and run by nicer people for the same price. 
So I hiked about 7 miles and went swimming in my underwear because the water was just wonderful and I had on nice sports underwear.  That was at a great beach (photo below).  It wasn't as crowded as the main beaches because it was a good hike to get to it. 
Sadly, after leaving the beach I found a man had passed away while hiking.  No other info but it sure puts things in perspective.  I took a time out and, after a break decided to continue with my hike in his honor.
I saw amazing wildlife the rest of the day.  I've included some photos below. 
I know I've been blogging a lot, but there's been a lot to see and the WiFi has been good. 
That will not be the case at least for the next part of my trip.  Tomorrow I head into the mountains (as high as over 11,0000 feet in some places and end up at a lodge in a valley in search of the Quetzal - a beautiful Costa Rican bird. 
Then it's off to the Caribbean side of the country for some relaxing and (hopefully) snorkeling.
Until then - Pura Vida!
Howler Monkey

My Beach for the Day

My Friend at the Beach - He hung out right next to me!

Mother and Child Capuchin Monkeys - Don't let her fool you though.
This was right after she stole food from some picnickers.

Sloth resting

Howler Monkey Baby and Mother - Also Resting

This is a three-toed Sloth (I'm pretty sure) - Once again, resting!

And Some Squirrel Monkeys - So Cute!


3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous beach! So glad you went and took a dip in your skivies :) sad about the hiker dying. I hope you didn't have to see anything hard. Please be safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beach looks beautiful and I like your "beach friend" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys for your responses. I liked my beach friend too!
    The other part was really more than I want to put in a blog, but that's for another conversation. Let me just say that I feel very fortunate and I dedicated the day to that man and have thought of him each day since then.

    ReplyDelete